There are so many stories about how the London 2012 Olympics have been shaped by the happenings on Twitter, it’s starting to get ridiculous.
- It started off with Greek triple jumper Voula Papachristou getting kicked off the Greek team for racist comments on Twitter.
- Not to be outdone, Swiss soccer player Michel Morganella has been sent home for tweeting that South Koreans should “burn themselves” and are “retards.”
- U.S. soccer goalie Hope Solo got into a Twitter war of words with former player turned commentator Brandi Chastain.
- Journalist at The Independent has Twitter account suspended after complaining about NBC’s coverage of London 2012 Olympics
- During the cycling finals the use of Twitter by spectators jammed up GPS communications so severely that the broadcasters lost the ability to track riders.
That’s quite a list and we’re just a few days into the Games.