The latest tactic by the terrorists in Iraq is the use of chlorine gas in their bombs.
Time for a little lesson in the language of war:
- Chlorine gas is a poison gas.
- Poison gas is what is described as a “chemical weapon” — a weapon that kills by a chemical reaction other than combustion.
- “Chemical weapons” are considered “non-conventional” weapons, along with nuclear and biological weapons.
- The prior collective term for these weapons was “NBC” — easily remembered thanks to the television network of the same name.
- The current term for these classes of weapons is WMD, or Weapons of Mass Destruction.
- The term “NBC” fell out of favor when “radiological” weapons — the use of radioactive material in a non-nuclear-explosive weapon — became a real possibility.
- The use of WMDs is considered a major war crime.
- The possession of WMDs in violation of treaties and other agreements is considered grounds for war.
But that’s not what’s really important. I hear that there are X-rated photos of that hottie on American Idol on the internet, and — can you believe this??!? — that one-legged model who was married to Paul McCartney’s going to be on Dancing With The Stars this season!