Recently, I wrote yet another piece about some atrocities being perpetrated in the name of Islam. (Yes, it’s a recurring theme, but if they’d stop doing these things, I’d stop writing about them.) One commenter took me to task (three times!) for not knowing enough about the glories of Islam, how wonderful it all is, and how terrible I am for talking about it.
Maybe it’s a product of my age (I just turned 40 last fall), but it all had a very familiar feel to it. I had the strangest sense of deja vu while reading this, and all the other pro-Islam propaganda I’ve read over the years. I couldn’t quite place it, though, so I shoved it into the back of my brain.
Well, my subconscious finally achieved what my conscious mind couldn’t do, and connected the dots:
Islam is being sold today like Communism was sold.
Think about it:
1) Both are pushed as the natural, superior heirs to and evolutions from successful movements of the past (Judaism and Christianity, capitalism).
2) Both preach that they are the only true, unified solution to questions of politics, economics, religion, and sociology.
3) Both were promoted through conquest and bloodshed and slaughter, ending up in body counts that stagger the imagination.
4) Both have their legions of apologists who brush aside the body counts, saying that those are failures of the implementers to bring about the “true” expression of the philosophy — which is always just around the corner.
5) Both have tremendous appeal to the western Left, who champion their “rights” to push their agenda — often to the exclusion of rival views.
6) Both have made lying and fraud into not only tolerable practices, but virtues — compare the Soviet history of rewriting history with the Islamist practice of Taqiyya.
7) Both made the persecution of the Jews a very high priority, in stark contrast with the fact that they owe their origins to Jews — many of the early Communists were Jews, and Islam claims to be built on the foundation of Judaism.
(7a) A thought — I find myself wondering: is there something about these kinds of movements that draws anti-Semites? They would be the ones most strongly motivated to purge all evidence of any Jewish involvement in their origins. I think I’ll leave that one for others, or a later time.)
8) Look at the weapons used by the Islamists — they’re almost exclusively the products of the old Warsaw Pact. RPGs, AK-47s, and the like. Part of that can be attributed to the sheer numbers of those weapons produced, along with the collapse of the Soviet Union dumping a lot of those on the market, but part of it comes from the Soviets being willing to give weapons and training and money and other materiel to anyone who promised to make life difficult for the West — and that involved a LOT of Muslim states.
9) Both are promoted by their adherents as being peaceful, idyllic, idealistic, and filled with noble words and sentiments and policies — but those words never come close to fulfillment. If one looks past the pretty words and measures the deeds of their advocates, one finds a colossal trail of murder and oppression and inhumanity and tyranny.
10) Both tout their egalitarian ideals and lack of a hierarchical structure, but always end up devolving into tyrannies and dictatorships and the most brutal forms of suppression.
11) Both construct elaborate methods to keep people from leaving the movement, and save their most outrage for those they deem as “traitors” or “heretics.”
12) For all their expansionist aggression, they tend to kill far more of their own people than outsiders. Stalin and Mao and Pol Pot butchered their people by the tens of millions, and the Islamists tend to spend most of their energies killing their fellow Muslims for perceived offenses and slights.
In theory, Communism and Islamism ought to be natural enemies, or at least rivals — one claims that God doesn’t exist, while the other says that their God is all that matters. But politics , indeed, makes for strange bedfellows, and nothing unites movements like a common foe — witness how quickly the Soviet Union became a “great friend and ally” to the West after Hitler turned on them.
In the end, I wonder how Islamism will fail. I’m fairly comfortable that it, too, will end up on the ash heap of history, but I don’t know if it will evolve into something more compatible with civilization, or utterly collapse.
Either way, I dread the butcher’s bill it will ultimately extract from the human race.