Chairman Nunes is reported to have sent a letter to between one and two dozen current and former Government officials seeking information about the “Steele dossier.”
By Chuck Ross, the Daily Caller
House Permanent Select Committee on Intelligence Chairman Devin Nunes sent letters Tuesday to more than a dozen current and former U.S. government officials asking about their knowledge of the infamous Steele dossier.
In the letters, Nunes submitted 10 questions covering when the officials learned of the dossier and how they handled the salacious and unverified document written by former British spy Christopher Steele.
The identities of the recipients are redacted from the letter, which a congressional source shared with The Daily Caller News Foundation. The recipients were described as “high-ranking” current and former government officials. Between one and two dozen letters were issued.
Nunes, a California Republican, threatened subpoenas if the officials did not comply with the letters.
“If you do not provide timely answers on a voluntary process, the Committee will initiate compulsory process,” he wrote.
It will be very interesting to see to whom the letters were sent, and even more interesting to see how they respond.
1. When and how did you first become aware of any of the information contained in the Steele dossier?
2. In what form(s) was the information in the Steele dossier presented to you? By whom? (please describe each instance)
3. Who did you share this information with? When? In what form? (please describe each instance)
4. What official actions did you take as a result of receiving information contained in the Steele dossier?
5. Did you conven any meetings with the intelligence community and/or law enforcement communities as a result of the information contained in the Steele dossier.
6. When did you first learn or come to believe that the Steele dossier was funded by a Democrat-aligned entity?
7. When did you first learn or come to believe that the Steele dossier was funded by the Democrat National Committee (DNC) and/or Hillary for America (Clinton Campaign)?
8. When did you first become aware that the Steele dossier was used to obtain a FISA order on Carter Page?
9. Was President Obama briefed on any information contained in the dossier prior to January 5, 2017?
10. Did you discuss the information contained in the Steele dossier with any reporters or other representatives of the media? If so, who and when?
The answers to question nine should be especially interesting and significant.
As I predicted, the hunt is moving up the chain.