When I first heard about the whole President Obama – NASCAR foofaraw, I had to say my first reaction was just short of “WTF?” Since when does “Barack Obama” and “NASCAR” go together?
I don’t mean to play to stereotypes, but let’s face it: that isn’t exactly Obama’s demographic.
Let’s look at some of the things that NASCAR — and its fans — are known for:
- Loud, gas-guzzling, polluting cars
- Country music
- Exuberant patriotism
- Really, really unhealthy food
- Plenty of other unhealthy things (beer, tobacco, etc.)
- Wal-Mart (real fans have RVs they take on the circuit, and are welcomed overnight in Wal-Mart parking lots)
- Celebration of the “white trash” stereotype
About the only thing that NASCAR and Obama have in common are going around in circles — to the left. Well, that and spectacular crashes.
NASCAR fans — and drivers — are wise to be suspicious of Obama. If he gets too interested in the whole sport, they could end up next year having to meet strict mileage, noise, and pollution standards. And before you know it, they’ll be running in Chevy Volts.