Here’s an open thread for anyone who wants to do a happy dance or two or scream in frustration. Here are the preliminary numbers from Rasmussen who did a bit of exit polling:
- Among those who decided how they would vote in the past few days, Coakley has a slight edge, 47% to 41%.
- Coakley also has a big advantage among those who made up their mind more than a month ago.
- Seventy-six percent (76%) of voters for Brown said they were voting for him rather than against Coakley.
- Sixty-six percent (66%) of Coakley voters said they were voting for her rather than against Brown.
- 22% of Democrats voted for Brown. That is generally consistent with pre-election polling.
Update: Geraghty at Campaign Spot:
Obama Towns Are Flipping To Scott Brown. Early Night, Folks.
In 2008, Ashland, Massachusetts went for Obama over McCain, 5,039 votes to 3,181.
Tonight Brown won Ashland 54 percent to 45 percent – 3,467 for Brown while Coakley carried 2,897.
You can call it, folks.
Howie Carr on O’Reilly says turnout in suburbs was twice that in the cities and is a “total fiasco” for the Democrats.
Update II: It’s 8:55pm and this is what Drudge says:
SCOTT BROWN (R) 52%
MARTHA COAKLEY (D) 47%
Rasmussen: 22% of Dems voted for Brown; Voters who decided in past few days favored Coakley…
LARGE: Reports of 50% turnout…
Mass. secretary of state dismissed vote problems…
Update III: Dave Wasserman from Cook Report via Twitter:
Cook Report does NOT officially call races, but if I were working for a network I would have enough #s to project: Brown Wins
I’m trying to stay calm.
Also from Wasserman:
Kennedyland is IN: Barnstable, MA (including Hyannis Port) gave Brown 61%, he needed 59% there
Update IV: Sean Hannity reports that Martha Coakley has conceded! Carl Cameron reports live that Coakley has conceded.
Say hello to Senator-elect Scott Brown.
We are witnessing history. I can’t believe it. A second American revolution just took place. Thank you, Massachusetts. It really is a Massachusetts Miracle.