Fox News just reported via the AP that the case against Abdul Rahman will be dropped for lack of evidence.
KABUL, Afghanistan (AP) — An Afghan court on Sunday dismissed a case against a man who converted from Islam to Christianity because of a lack of evidence, and he will be released soon, an official said.
“The court dismissed today the case against Abdul Rahman for a lack of information and a lot of legal gaps in the case,” said the official, who spoke on condition of anonymity because he was not authorized to speak on the matter.
He said the case has been returned to the prosecutors for more investigation, but that in the meantime Rahman would be released.
“The decision about his release will be taken possibly tomorrow,” he said.
The court, and Afghan President Hamid Karzai, had been under intense international pressure to drop the case against Abdul Rahman, who faced a possible death sentence for his conversion.
Some Islamic clerics had called for him to be put to death, saying Rahman would face danger from his countrymen if he were released.