I love words. Especially new words. One of my favorite new words is “ignoranus,” from a contest the Washington Post holds every year where they ask readers to submit new words based on taking an existing word and adding, removing, or changing a single letter.
One possible winner was sent to me by Jim Lynch of Southern Yankee — “Filibluster.” But I have to quibble with his definition. It’s too specific for such a grand new word.
How about this?
Filibluster: a threat to hold up legislative action by an endless series of speeches, made with the safe knowledge that it will not succeed, merely to placate the more extreme element of your supporters. Also, as a verb, the act itself.”
It’s a highly-specific form of talking out of one’s ass, and it looks like it’s been mastered by the highly-embarassing Senators from Massachusetts…
Yup. You have the better definition, Jay. You may need to add, “See also: Massholes.”
Need to update the filibluster def to reflect the fact that they no longer have to speak like when they had to when the old southern Democrats were attempting to hold back desegregation. “…non speaches, not made…”?!?
For the record, here are some more:
1. Coffee (n.), a person who is coughed upon.
2. Flabbergasted (adj.), appalled over how much weight you have gained.
3. Abdicate (v.), to give up all hope of ever having a flat stomach.
4. Esplanade (v.), to attempt an explanation while drunk.
5. Willy-nilly (adj.), impotent
6. Negligent (adj.), describes a condition in which you absent mindedly answer the door in your nightgown.
7. Lymph (v.), to walk with a lisp.
8. Gargoyle (n.), an olive-flavored mouthwash.
9. Flatulence (n.) the emergency vehicle that picks you up after you are run over by a steamroller.
10. Balderdash (n.), a rapidly receding hairline.
11. Testicle (n.), a humorous question on an exam.
12. Rectitude (n.), the formal, dignified demeanor assumed by a proctologist immediately before he examines you.
13. Oyster (n.), a person who sprinkles his conversation with Yiddish expressions.
14. Circumvent (n.), the opening in the front of boxer shorts.
15. Frisbeetarianism (n.), The belief that, when you die, your Soul goes up on the roof and gets stuck there.
16. Pokemon (n), A Jamaican proctologist
I recommend thorazine.
Very nice Pal.
How about this, something I actually heard someone say and thereafter provided my own definition:
innoculous — a vaccine that has no effect.