heh- Over at Gateway Pundit I learned that Iraq is spanking New Orleans in the telecommunications department.
* Audited more than 1,200 km of the fiber optic backbone network and performed emergency repairs, reconnecting 20 cities and 70 percent of the population.
* Reconstituted Baghdad area phone service by installing switches with 240,000 lines at 12 sites.
* Installed and fully integrated 13 new switches with 14 existing switches.
* Worked with the Ministry of Communications to reactivate more than 215,000 subscriber lines.
* Installed a satellite gateway system at Baghdad’s largest telecom exchange and restored international service.
* Trained telecom engineers and technicians in the operation and maintenance of the satellite gateway system and the new switches.
Geeze. We can only dream of that infrastructure.
240,000 phone lines on new switches and another 215,000 on legacy equipment? – We’d be happy with 100,000 on any equipment right now.
70% of the population has phones! Geeze that is AT LEAST double New Orleans.
A quarter of a year after the storm and there are still lines at the cell phone offices out the doors on some days. One day New Orleans will catch up to bombed out third world countries.