A Pre-emptive "Shut your piehole, you whiny losers"

I’ve always been a believer in the electoral college system. It keeps the presidential election from becoming a purely democratic process, and no democracy has ever survived 51% realizing that they can screw the other 49% with impunity. It levels out the playing field a little, protecting the say of the smaller states. If the presidential race was strictly a matter of popular vote, the candidates could pretty much focus on New York City, Los Angeles, and a few other hubs and essentially ignore the vast majority of the country. And speaking as someone who lives in a state with 1/55 the population of California, I am delighted that we actually have about 1/14 the electoral clout as the Golden State.

I recall a great many people complaining that “Gore won the popular vote” in 2000 (that’s hardly a proven fact, but I’ll let that slide for now). Back in May I pointed out that in the years since that election, there has not been a serious push to change the system.

In about 12 hours from now, I’ll have cast my vote for President. And in about 24 hours from now, polls will start to close and votes will be counted. I am hereby pledging that, regardless of the results, not to argue that the electoral college results should be discarded in favor of the results of the popular vote. And I am pre-emptively challenging any and all other pundits to honor that pledge. And I don’t see any excuse for anyone to refuse this challenge, unless they’re willing to show that they’ve been calling for changing the electoral system for at least six months.

It’s been nearly four years since the last presidential election, when the electoral college (allegedly) trumped the popular vote, and there has not been a single serious effort to change the rules. So let’s all agree to live with them.

J.

Voting with your bumpers
ABC News highlights moonbats

13 Comments

  1. OregonJon November 1, 2004
  2. Remy Logan November 1, 2004
  3. Spoons November 1, 2004
  4. Jay Tea November 1, 2004
  5. Jim November 1, 2004
  6. JAB November 1, 2004
  7. -S- November 1, 2004
  8. julie November 1, 2004
  9. -S- November 1, 2004
  10. Jay Tea November 1, 2004
  11. jeff November 1, 2004
  12. Just Don November 1, 2004
  13. superhawk November 2, 2004