But note the difference in how the story was reported by the AP then picked up by the New York Times.. Watch my bolding.
WASHINGTON (AP) – President Clinton’s national security adviser, Sandy Berger, is the focus of a Justice Department investigation after removing highly classified terrorism documents and handwritten notes from a secure reading room during preparations for the Sept. 11 commission hearings, The Associated Press has learned.
Berger’s home and office were searched earlier this year by FBI agents armed with warrants after he voluntarily returned documents to the National Archives. However, still missing are some drafts of a sensitive after-action report on the Clinton administration’s handling of al-Qaida terror threats during the December 1999 millennium celebration.
Berger and his lawyer said Monday night he knowingly removed handwritten notes he had made while reading classified anti-terror documents at the archives by sticking them in his jacket and pants.
The story continues for 28 paragraphs.
Now let’s see how the “newspaper of record” reports it ON PAGE A17!
WASHINGTON, July 19 – President Bill Clinton’s national security adviser, Samuel R. Berger, removed classified security documents from the National Archives while vetting them in preparation for testimony before the Sept. 11 commission and has become the subject of a criminal investigation, his lawyer said Monday night.
Mr. Berger removed at least two versions of a memorandum assessing how the government handled intelligence and security issues before the millennium celebrations in 1999, his lawyer, Lanny A. Breuer, said. He also removed notes he took about classified documents, the lawyer said.
“In the course of reviewing over several days thousands of pages of documents on behalf of the Clinton administration in connection with requests by the 9/11 commission, I inadvertently took a few documents from the archives,” Mr. Berger said in a statement.
He said, “I deeply regret the sloppiness involved,” and added that he had not intended to keep any document from the commission. The investigation was first reported by The Associated Press.
Mr. Berger returned all of the documents and notes to the archives in October, within a week of his learning they were missing, his lawyers said. [What about the ones still missing NYT? -ed]
Federal agents investigated Mr. Berger’s handling of the materials, [YEAH when they raided his house and found more classified material that had been missing! -ed] a senior government official said this evening. The official said the inquiry’s results were being reviewed Justice Department prosecutor, who will decide whether any laws were broken.
There you have the NYT story in its entirety. 6 paragraphs down from AP’s 28.
Basically they just ran his lawyer’s press release.