CNN’s lies aside, the spin of the day is that “they should have connected the dots.” Kevin Drum stretches more than a Cirque du Soleil contortionist when he finds this story:
BBC, July 18, 2001, reporting on preparations for the G8 summit in Genoa: “The huge force of officers and equipment which has been assembled to deal with unrest has been spurred on by a warning that supporters of Saudi dissident Osama bin Laden might attempt an air attack on some of the world leaders present.”
From there he concludes that because Laden might attempt an “air attack” it should have been plainly obvious that 4 teams of hijackers were going to take off from different cities, carry blades that were legal at the time, overpower the flight crews and fly the planes into buildings killing themselves and everyone on board.
Putting aside Kevin’s bizarre critical thinking skills, Let’s have fun-
We all know Al Gore is sooo much smarter than George Bush, let’s say Al Gore was elected in 2000.
Let’s say it was Al Gore who asked for that document and received it. (Forget for a second that it is not Al Gore’s job but the people who wrote that paper to connect the dots.)
Let’s pretend Al Gore read the PDB and exclaimed “Dammit Man! Don’t you remember Genoa? Bin Laden might attempt an ‘air attack!'”
In short, thanks to Al Gore’s overwhelming intelligence, we connected the dots. So what?
What exactly could/would have been done to prevent 9/11?
Now before you answer remember a few things…
1) You have to stop all 4 teams of Hijackers or you only have a smaller catastrophe.
2) We did not even profile Arab men the week AFTER 9/11 so you can’t stop them at the gate.
3) The blades they carried were legal so calling for better inspections won’t stop it.
4) You have no idea WHEN it is going to happen. (these people think in years)
5) You have no idea IF it is going to happen.
6) You have no idea WHERE it is going to happen.
7) You ain’t sure what exactly an “air attack” is.
8) You can’t pass any new laws because A: You don’t have time to get something thru Congress and B: You don’t know what laws will stop it anyway.
9) You can’t use the “reinforce cockpit doors” thing, you only have 30 days.
10) Sky Marshals on every plane is out. You could never justify that before 9/11… We can’t justify it now!
11) With the exception of a random speculation here or there, nobody ever realistically ever considered using a plane as a suicide bomb.
12) You can’t say you would investigate it more… We had already had 70 investigations going AND…
13) What ever you pick, you only have about 24 work days to implement it.
I could go on but you get the point. Even if Al Gore “connected the dots” 9/11 still happens.
Sadly, some people in this country have decided to exploit the deaths of over 3000 people for political gain. They try to create scandal where there is none straining all sense of credulity in the process. Winning the war on terror is secondary to regaining political power. These people repulse me.
Partisanship is fine. I actually think it is heathy in a democracy. This ain’t that.
This has risen to a whole new level of insanity. This is being willing to sacrifice the security of this nation to grab political power. It is not about finding out what happened to cause 9/11. It is certainly not about making sure it never happens again.
It is all about distorting the truth anyway possible to win an election.
Bush had no chance of stopping 9/11 just as Gore would have had no chance even if he “connected the dots.” The people trying to exploit this tragedy should at least pretend to have some intellectual honesty.